The Intercommunal Syndicate for the study of the Gier Roman Aqueduct was founded by prefectural decree on 15 July 1992. Paul Delorme, Mayor of Mornant was elected President.
The goal was to have an overall approach to the remains, to share expenses, notably for restoration, and to encourage communes to buy relevant parcels of land. From the start the idea of a footpath along the Aqueduct was envisaged.
- In 1995, Laurent Zacharie, Titular Delegate for Mornant, became President of the Syndicate..
- In 2001, Marie-Thérèse Maucour, Titular Delegate for Brignais, became President.
- By prefectural decree of 28 Mars 2002, the Intercommunal Syndicate of the Gier Roman Aqueduct became a “Syndicate of Implementation”. The constitution was modified in 2004 to allow the communes of Chaponost, Lyon and Sainte Foy-lès-Lyon to become members.
- Marie-Thérèse Maucour was re-elected President in 2008.
- All communes in the Rhône Department now members.
- Annie Ferlay, Titular Delegate for Chaponost was elected President in 2014.
- In 2019 communes in the Loire Department began to become members: Saint-Chamond, Chagnon, Saint-Martin-la-Plaine, Saint-Joseph.