At the end of the Aqueduct, the remains of a series of piers are to be seen on both sides of the rue Radisson (Lyon 5th district). Appearing more or less accurately on numerous old plans, they are considered a valuable testimony to Lyon’s ancient past.
An 18th century plan and elevation of this site by G-M Delorme shows the still-surviving receiving reservoir slightly downhill from the piers, of which seven are still standing. Comparison between these drawings and the visible remains easily enables three vanished piers to be reinstated. The construction of new fortifications in the 19th century led to demolition of the receiving reservoir and the pier on which it stood.
With the exception of one pier “liberated” in 1958, the other visible ones are more or less built into constructions of the 18th and 19th centuries (buildings or enclosure walls). They have been on the list of Historic Monuments since 1964. Exposed to the weather, the piers on the North of the street, whose tops were in the open air; were fitted about 15 years ago with a protective slate covering. Changes in the ground level mean that the three most westerly piers have their foundations very much exposed.
The piers of the rue Radisson enabled the water of the Aqueduct to reach the highest point of the ancient city (about 300m General Levelling) and potentially serve the Fourvière and La Sarra plateaux.